Green Triangle Biochar Study Tour
“MAINSTREAMING BIOCHAR IN OUR REGIONS”
Study Tour intent
- Attract and involve potential commercial scale users of Biochar
- Give them practical advice on using Biochar at commercial scale
- likely responses by animals, crops, compost etc to Biochar
- how do we use Biochar?
- what dose has worked for others?
- what mixes have worked for others?
- what works best in the soils of this region
- man in the street guide on Biochar quality
- Biochar is being commercialised and that is the purpose of the Study Tour. The sessions will be clearly understandable for farmers, graziers, orchardists, vineyard owners – potential biochar users. It will cover what works, what may not work, what absolsolutely won’t work.
- Create new commercial scale activist users of biochar
Sun 20 – Tue 22 October
Who Should attend?
Farmers, Horticulturists, Viticulturists, Foresters, Councils, Road and Building Products Producers
Potential commercial scale consumers of biochar for:
- animal health
- building soil carbon
- building products
- road building
- consumer products
- carbon sequestration
Also suitable for regional officers in councils RDAs and CMAs, scientists, technology and service providers will also want to come to the Study Tour to listen and see where they are able to help existing and emerging users of biochar.
Accommodation Packages for the Study Tour are available to stay at Quality Inn Presidential Mt Gambier. Please inquire directly through email@example.com. (See Pictures below)
Mt Gambier also has a large range of options. Portland several good options. Other options at Millicent, Beachport etc.
Portland also has a broad range of accommodation. For more information visit;
Road: scenic drives from Melbourne via Ballarat & Grampians or Torquay and Great Ocean Road. From Adelaide via Coonawarra.
Air: 45 minute 33 seater SAAB 340 REX flights morning & afternoon flights in and out of Mt Gambier from Melbourne or Adelaide.
Sunday: Main Corner Complex – 1 Bay Road, Mt Gambier, South Australia
Monday: Portland, Victoria
Tuesday: Tantanoola, South Australia
PROPOSED STUDY TOUR AGENDA
DAY 1 SUNDAY
MT GAMBIER: ‘BIOCHAR USE IN 5 REGIONS’ WORKSHOP
Why do we suggest that it’s time for Biochar to go Mainstream?
Biochar Use in Five Regions
Speakers will cover:
- Major uses of Biochar in each Region and the benefits that users are reporting.
- What are the Drivers? Why are these people using Biochar?
- What are the most active Biochar Regions in ANZ?
Commercial Scale Biochar Applications that have worked well – the ‘Recipe’
Speakers will cover what has worked/not worked? Biochar type, mixes, application methods, application rates, results 1st year, 2nd year, impacts on soil health, animal health, air and water quality.
DAY 2 MONDAY
PORTLAND: ‘VISIT AN ASPIRING BIO-ECONOMY HUB’
Bus Transport to and from Mt Gambier (~1hr 15min one way)
MORNING SESSION: LOCAL FIELD TRIALS
Presenters explain the trial context, objectives, methods, analysis, results that make sense both to locals and to visitors who aren’t familiar with this type of soil, climate, crop, animal and pests
AFTERNOON SESSION: PRACTICAL WORKSHOPS
A series of practical worskshops for International and local presenters covering a broad range of topics related to applying biochar.
DAY 3 TUESDAY
‘VISIT A WORKING BIOENERGY & BIOCHAR PLANT AND A LARGE ORGANICS RECYCLER USING BIOCHAR’
Visit Holla Fresh to see the first working Echo2 biomass processing unit in operation developed by Rainbow Bee Eater. The glasshouse facilities growing herbs are using a cleaning burning gas, CO2 and heat to run them created by the Echo2. We will then visit BioGro, a composting and mulch producer that are taking the biochar also created by Echo2 to value add.
AIRPORT ARRIVAL FOR AFTERNOON FLIGHTS TO MELBOURNE & ADELAIDE